Friday, May 13, 2011

A question of faith.

There's a new billboard about a mile from my house that warns of the impending end of the world on May 21st. Simply stated it says: Judgment Day May 21. And then there's a number and web address for viewers to call or visit. I imagine if I called, someone would answer and assure me if I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior than all will be well for me on May 22. I hope, if it happens, the way I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior is acceptable to whoever is making those decisions. Also, wouldn't a 30 second commercial during the Super Bowl be a better venue for getting the word out? I mean, The Judgment Day, that's kind of big. Is money an issue if you won't need any beyond the 21st?

One of the basic tenets of my religious belief is that everyone should be free to worship how, where or what they may. I know that my own beliefs are oftentimes viewed as narrow minded, strict, stifling, or ridiculous. Those who are not Mormon, or who no longer associate themselves with the Mormon faith, might think all of those things. But it's true - shredded carrots really do taste good in green jello. Of course I jest.

I find that often people's view of what I believe is based on several things, sometimes inaccuracy and misinformation and other times a simple unbelief in anything they have studied. Depending on what they have studied, I am much more accepting of the latter. I try very hard to be understanding of other people's faith, or even lack of faith. I'm sad to say this has not always been the case. I'm sure my rigid, holier than thou attitude was found to be off putting for many. But I have worked hard to foster respect for those who are unwavering in their commitment to what they know to be true. It's like what I tell my kids sometimes when they come downstairs dressed for the day - "If that's what you're wearing - you better own it." Nothing is more disheartening than to watch the tottering soul.

Is it true that after dying in a suicide mission that men of the Muslim faith are met by 72 virgins and eternal happiness? Um, I hope not. Is it true on May 22nd, if I'm still here, that I am in hell like the billboard suggests? Um, I hope not. What I also hope is those are just myths, perpetuated by a crazy few but not representative of a whole faith or creed. There are many men and women who practice polygamy under the entirely false pretense that they are still members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Their confusion should not be viewed as my belief, no matter what their insistence, or others ignorance. I know people of the Muslim faith who are appalled that their religion is muckraked by those who are unwilling to educate themselves - those willing only to be spoon fed a never-ending feast of media sound bites and hype for the benefit of their perceived patriotism and next social gathering diatribe. Are there those who have absolute faith in the rapture, whenever that might be, who live their lives in humble preparation but who are dismayed to see others stoop to fear mongering and scare tactics to win votes for Jesus?

The one thing I can't shake about that billboard is what if, come May 22, the followers of the people behind the phone number and website are still here? The reality of waking up in your own bed on that Sunday morning would seem unbearable. Does faith exist for the disillusioned?