Thursday, February 2, 2012

For Marie('s daughter)

Today is my sister's birthday. Happy Birthday Marie!

I thought about Marie a lot today. This is her first birthday as a new momma. In a few years, that will mean her daughter will bring her breakfast in bed. And on the homemade card she receives there will be a stick figure drawing of a pretty woman holding a little girl's hand. And there will probably be lots of flowers and hearts drawn around the border. And the card will say Hppy Berthday Mommy! And she will think it is the most wonderful present anyone has ever given her. And she will be right.

But her sweet baby girl has to get bigger first. So Marie will spend her birthday in the hospital, watching over her daughter, knowing this is the most wonderful present anyone has ever given her. And she will be right.

In honor of Marie's birthday, today my new friend Lisa and I got together and had a sewing party for Marie's new baby. We made preemie smocks using a pattern I found here. These are actually for 3-7 lb babies, so she will have to grow into them, but I tried to make them extra cute as an incentive. With the leftover fabric we made rick rack rimmed blankets, the perfect size for a preemie. The smock with no blanket was made from the extra fabric that Audrey and her grandma used to make a blanket this past summer.










(Thank you to Kymy at http://everythingyourmamamade.com for sharing her pattern, to Sarah P. for teaching me how to make a rick rack blanket, and to Lisa B. for hanging out and sewing with me today.)

Happy Birthday Marie!