Sunday, February 6, 2011

An EGGScellent idea.

Remember this scene from the musical "The Music Man?"

Professor Hill: All I need is an opening. You remember the pitch. What can I use? What's new around here?
Marcellus Washburn: The other day a farmer brought in an egg had 3 yolks in it. Was in the paper.
Professor Hill: Oo, That's exciting, all right.

Remember? It's right before the Professor sings "Ya Got Trouble." OK, maybe you don't remember. Eggs really aren't that entertaining. Sometimes my mom would buy eggs from a farmer down the road from us. They were fresh and brown and tasted better than the store bought ones. Because they were country eggs that hadn't been screened for uniformity and perfection, oftentimes there would be a few with double yolks. I even saw eggs with 3 yolks and, I have to admit, it was slightly exciting. Nothing to sing about obviously, but slightly exciting nonetheless.

Today Audrey wasn't feeling well. We stayed home from church and I helped her convalesce. No worries though, it was a relatively quick illness. Lasting from shortly before it was time to get ready for church, til just after Jon took the boys and left for church. While she colored and chatted happily about life, I cleaned out the fridge. I discovered that we had two cartons of eggs. In my panic that the world was going to come to an end with that storm a couple of days ago, I guess I made sure we would have plenty of eggs. Candles, no. Batteries, um, no. Eggs, you betcha. And not wanting to waste $1.19, I boiled a dozen. The kids like egg salad sandwiches and I like to peel things. It's a win win. Audrey asked if we were going to write on them and that's when I started taking pictures.


Here's Audrey with a dozen eggs boiled to perfection. See how sick she looks. I follow Betty Crocker's recipe. Cover eggs with salted water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 18 minutes. Drain and cool. Someday I'm going to let them sit for 22 minutes just to see what happens.

So, with the premise that eggs really aren't all that exciting (with or without 3 yolks), I'm here to show you otherwise. It's a trick I learned from my mom and one that my kids enjoy today. In order to distinguish the hard boiled eggs from the not hard boiled eggs, my mom would make a mark on each egg. That eventually evolved into Eggsclamations. She would take a word beginning with 'ex' and replace the 'ex' with 'eggs.' Kids find this highly amusing. And honestly, I still find this highly amusing.



Eggstra special and Eggstra yummy.



Here's our final product. See, eggs can be exciting. Er, I mean, EGGSciting!