Thursday, February 24, 2011

Grab a tissue.

This week the editor of the daily GM newsletter asked permission to print a story that Jon had shared on the GM social network OverDrive. Jon said that would be alright and the story was in yesterday's edition with the accompanying photo as follows:




OverDrive Conversation: Corvette Convertible & Courage

Jon Johnston, designing engineer – rear closures, Global Engineering, shared a heart-warming story awhile ago on OverDrive about his Ambassador Program Corvette Convertible, which continues to get good traction as employees join the conversation.


“Several months ago I had a few days with an Ambassador Program Corvette Convertible. When it was parked in my driveway, all the kids in the neighborhood came by to sit in it and take pictures. One kid in the neighborhood did not come check it out. He had recently been diagnosed with a brain tumor and had just started treatment. I asked his dad if the boy would enjoy a ride in the Corvette. He said that might help cheer him up.


“I put the top down, we put on our seatbelts, and we were off. I made sure to push the engine often to open up the 2-stage muffler so he could hear that V-8. I raced from every stop light, and didn't slow down for corners. I may have exceeded the posted speed limit when the road opened up. The boy loved it.

“Later I got this note from the dad: ‘Was having a real bummer of a week. Thanks to you, that all changed. He has not stopped talking about it. Thank you, thank you!!!’

“This month I heard the boy recovered from surgery and chemotherapy. The tumor is completely gone. He beat it! And I like to think the Corvette helped.”

Our neighbor's son has made a remarkable recovery. He has shown great courage for a soul so young, enduring months of tests, surgery and treatments. We are very proud of him, his lovely sister and devoted parents.