Sunday, February 20, 2011

Play that song one more time and I swear . . .

There's this song that our children's piano teacher teaches all her students. Hi Linda! It's awful. Children love it. It's called "The Little Indian Dance." "The Little Indian Dance" is catchy, full of staccato notes and repetitive. A magical combination for piano students ages 6 to 10 everywhere. Eventually it was forcibly relegated to Nate's 'never play again as long as my mother is living' repertoire. Yesterday, after a baptism at the church, the congregation was enjoying refreshments and the spirit of the event when the faint strains of "The Little Indian Dance" began to waft over the crowd. As the music quickly grew louder (matched only by the rising of my blood pressure) I turned, ready to strangle whatever child of mine was daring to play that song at church. Relief that it was not my child turned to worry for the piano playing child who was about to be collared by his equally aggravated mother. If you're going to play an annoying song at church at least make it a hymn. I think that's why my mother didn't kill me back when I was ten and I played "Go Tell Aunt Rhody" up and down the scales of the piano at break neck speed. Because you can't kill a kid who'll only plead that she was practicing "Lord Dismiss Us With Thy Blessings."

Tonight we all listened while Nate played Pachelbel's Canon in D over and over. And this time, no one tried to stop him.