Sunday, February 27, 2011

About a blog.

Jon says blogging about blogging is lame. So, welcome to my first lame post. All the other ones are brilliant. I know because my mom told me. I'll begin with a confession. My name is Amy and I'm addicted to my stats tab. I monitor the peaks and valleys of the overview page with increasing regularity. Well, since I'm walking by the computer, I might as well . . .Well, since I'll be waiting in line, I might as well . . . Well, since I haven't checked in the last ten minutes, I might as well . . .

Pageviews by countries delivers a similar rush as new countries are represented. France, you like me, you really like me! Or you stumbled on my post while researching egg salad and then told Germany about the crazy lady who writes on her eggs. Either way, I count you both as fans. I'll blame my stats addiction on getting to know my audience. Still haven't figured out who I know in Qatar, India, or Russia or really even how to entertain a Russian audience, but even if I don't know anyone in those countries, it's fun to see the world map covered in various shades of green.

Google Analytics can pinpoint reader location to the city. But I prefer a vaguer understanding of who reads what I write. I imagine all my readers as close personal friends who read my blog because I'd be offended (not really) if they didn't. That means you Georgia - the country, not the state. And kudos to my ex-pat friends who live in China and Finland. You light up my map.


Blogging

xkcd.com/741